This page is for the Coaches of the Battle. Click to go to our public website!
Next Committee Meeting:
- Thursday, May 3, 2018, 9:30 am
- Westchester Library System
- Board Meeting: April 19, 2018; 10:00 am at the White Plains Public Library, Edge Media Lab
What is Battle of the Books?
Battle of the Books is a book-based trivia tournament for Westchester youth grades 4-10.
What does a Team Coach do? The goal of the program is to promote a love of reading in kids and teens, to expose them to titles and authors that they might not encounter otherwise, to encourage them to think of their local public library as a resource for entertainment and to inspire teamwork and good sportsmanship in an atmosphere of friendly competition.
Manage your library’s BOB team(s) by: recruiting team members, having team members read BOB selected books, running BOB book-based trivia practice sessions with buzzer systems (borrowed from WLS). Team coaches are also encouraged to help on sub-committees, suggest books for BOB, and read and submit questions for the BOB event.
2018 Timeline, Rules, Forms, & Sample Questions:
- Coach’s Handbook
- Sample Questions from 2017 Battle: Children’s and Teen
- 2018 Rules
- 2018 Timeline
- Editable Flyer
- School Letter
- Solicitation Letter
2018 Meeting Minutes:
Children’s 2018 Books:
- Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- All’s Faire in Middle School by Victoria Jamieson
- Unidentified Suburban Object by Mike Jung
- Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin
- The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann
Teen 2018 Books:
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
- The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
- Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse
- Delirium by Lauren Oliver
- Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick
- President – Kathlyn Carroll
- Vice President – Jonathan Heifetz
- Treasurer – Pat Brigham
- Secretary – Liz Anastasi
- Rules – Amy Kaplan
- Volunteers – Suzy Zavarella & Debbie Fletcher
- Communication and Outreach – Marie Pierre
- Book Donations – Kim Larsen
- School Liaison – Elise Landesberg
- Social Media – Sarah Prosser
- Questions and Book Selection – Mallory Marinaro & Linda Surovich
What can I do to help?
What is expected of a Battle of the Books volunteer?
- Book Suggesters – Everyone can suggest books for the 2018 Battle. Does not require regular meeting attendance or having a BOB team.
- Question Writing – Everyone can write questions for the 2018 Battle based on the selected books. Does not require regular meeting attendance or having a BOB team.
- Volunteer on Battle Day – We need tons of volunteers on the big day from emcees to runners and more! We accept teen and adult volunteers. Need community service? This is a great opportunity! Contact us for more details.
- Refreshments – Bring refreshments (snacks, drinks, etc.) to be shared with participants and volunteers on Battle day.
- Donate! – The BOB accepts both monetary and in-kind gifts (refreshments, publisher book donations, prizes for participants, etc.) as donations.
Want to know more? Click to go to our public website!
Contact us: BOB.Westchester@gmail.com
For previous years, check out the Battle of the Books Archive.