What a rousing and successful meeting we had on Tuesday February 16th at 9:30 am.
We had a small turn out due to the horrible weather, but boy did we have a great discussion! Sincere thanks to Allison Midgley for showing us the many ways to use an under utilized resource – Novelist.
Attached is her PowerPoint presentation (pdf). I know this is a resource I will be using more. Remember, if you have any questions please look at the
Some take-aways from the meeting:
- Strong feelings that parent involvement is key to children being engaged in reading.
- Allowing manipulatives, hands on activities and pre literacy engagement (Mother Goose, Toddler Time, Baby Lap Time) for young children in the library helps to build budding readers and future library users.
- Some people felt that genre labels were important, some did not.
- Also it is important to know your collection.
- Reference interview is key.
- Programming is also important: Successes include: Maker Programs for YA and Children. Book Trivia Jeopardy has been very successful – buzzer system can be borrowed from WLS – contact Allison Pryor, email@example.com.