October 17, 2015 – 2nd Annual Westchester Library System Battle of the Books
Westchester Library System Battle of the Books 2014 Champions:
Grade 4-6 Champions – Bedford Public Library’s “Brianiacs ”
Grade 4-6 2nd Place – Pelham Public Library’s “Page Turners”
Grade 6-9 Champions – Briarcliff Manor Public Library’s “Awfully Famous and Peculiar Legendary Necromancers (For Now) ”
Grade 6-9 2nd Place – Ardsley Public Library’s “Literary Lions”
Thank you to our very generous BOB 2015 Sponsors: Hope for Youth Foundation, Ossining Bakery, Topps Bakery,Starbucks, Costco, D. Bertoline & Sons, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Simon & Schuster, Random House, Penguin Random House, Macmillian, Quirk, Bloomsbury, Ossining School District, Westchester Library System and to the many volunteers & parents that helped make the big day possible!
What is Battle of the Books?
- Battle of the Books is a book-based trivia tournament for Westchester youth grades 4-9.
- The goal of the program is to promote a love of reading in kids and teens, to expose them to titles and authors that they might not encounter otherwise, to encourage them to think of their local public library as a resource for entertainment and to inspire teamwork and good sportsmanship in an atmosphere of friendly competition.
- Want to know more? Click to go to our public website!
- President – Liz Anastasi
- Vice President – Elizabeth Portillo
- Treasurer – Kim Larsen
- Secretary – Pat Humphreys
- Chairs of Rules Sub-Committee – Amy Kaplan & Debbie Fletcher
- Chairs of Volunteer Sub-Committee – Anne Quick & Suzy Zavarella
- Chair of Publicity Sub-Committee – Jonathan Heifetz
- Chairs of Questions Sub-Committee
– Augusta Turner & Lillian Hecker
- Chairs of Fundraising Sub-Committee
-Kim Larsen & Elise Landesberg
Responsibilities of Team Coaches –
- Team Coach – Manage your library’s BOB team(s) by: recruiting team members, having team members read BOB selected books, running BOB book-based trivia practice sessions, practice sessions with buzzer systems (borrowed from WLS). Team coaches are also encouraged to help on sub-committees, suggest books for BOB, and read and submit questions for the BOB event.
What can I do to help?
The BOB 2015 needs your help!
Limited Time Commitment Helpers – We need book suggesters, question writers and editors, and more — Just let us know!
What is expected of a BOB volunteer?
BOB 2015 Volunteer Submission Form
- Book Suggestion-ers – Everyone can suggest books for the 2015 BOB. Does not require regular meeting attendance or having a BOB team.
- Question Writing – Everyone can write questions for the 2015 BOB based on the selected books. Does not require regular meeting attendance or having a BOB team.
- Question Editing & Selection – Everyone can help edit questions for the 2015 BOB based on the selected books. Does not require regular meeting attendance or having a BOB team.
- Volunteer on Battle Day – We need tons of volunteers on the big day from emcees & judges to runners and more! We accept teen and adult volunteers. Need community service? This is a great opportunity! Contact us for more details.
- Refreshments – Bring refreshments (snacks, drinks, etc.) to be shared with participants and volunteers on Battle day.
- Donate! – The BOB accepts both monetary and in-kind gifts (refreshments, publisher book donations, prizes for participants, etc.) as donations.
Timeline, Rules, Structure, & Sample Questions:
2015 Participating Libraries:
- Ardsley (4-6) & (6-9)
- Bedford Free (4-6)
- Briarcliff (4-6) & (6-9)
- Bronxville (4-6) & (6-9)
- Dobbs Ferry (6-9)
- Eastchester (4-6) & (6-9)
- Greenburgh (6-9)
- Larchmont (6-9)
- Montrose (4-6) & (6-9)
- Mount Pleasant (4-6) & (6-9)
- North Salem (4-6), (6-9)
- Ossining (4-6) & (6-9)
- Peekskill (6-9)
- Pelham (4-6) & (6-9)
- Rye (4-6)
- Somers (4-6) & (6-9)
- White Plains (4-6) & (6-9)
**ISBNs are the copies to be used for citing questions.
- Grades 4-6
- Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea — 9780375858246 or 9780385738828
- Bud Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis — 9780553494105 or 9780385323062
- Cracker by Cynthia Kadohata — 9781416906384 or 9781416906377
- Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library by Chris Grabenstein — 9780307931474 or 9780375870897
- Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins — 9780439678131 or 9780756934804
- Grades 6-9
- How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous by Georgia Bragg — 9780802727947 or 9780802798176
- Hold Me Closer Necromancer by Lish McBride — 9780312674373 or 9780805090987
- Legend by Marie Lu — 9780142422076 or 9780399256752
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs — 9781594746031 or 9781594744761
- Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt — 9780544022805 or 9780547152608
- 1/22/15 BOB Meeting Minutes
- 3/19/15 BOB Meeting Minutes
- 4/7/15 BOB Board Meeting Minutes
- 5/7/15 BOB Board Meeting Minutes
- 6/4/15 BOB Meeting Minutes
- 8/20/15 BOB Board Meeting Minutes
- 9/30/15 BOB Meeting Minutes
- 10/1/15 BOB Meeting Minutes
- 11/5/15 BOB Recap Minutes
Forms, Posters & Letters (editable):
Editable forms that can be individualized to each library
- 2015 BOB Poster (editable)
- 2015 BOB Poster Option 2 (editable)
- Official Photo Release Form (coming soon) – 1 required for each team member
- Solicitation / Sponsorship Letter (editable)
- 2015 *OFFICIAL* Battle of the Books Photo Release & Commitment Form – including parent/guardian volunteer & donation section (editable)
- Sponsorship 101 presentation with notes (Pat Braja of WLS)
- Battle of the Books Sponsorship Form (Pat Braja of WLS) – (editable)
- Solicitation Letter (Pat Braja of WLS) – (editable)
- Press Release – Library Team Recruiting Members – (editable)
- Battle of the Books School Support & PR Letter – (editable)
- BOB Letter to Schools – (editable)
Local Battle of the Books References: