Battle of the Books- OCTOBER 21, 2017
Hendrick Hudson High School in Montrose, NY.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2017 BATTLE OF THE BOOKS WINNERS!
This year’s champions are the Bronxville Bosses, representing the Bronxville Public Library, in the Children’s Division, and The Peekskill Glows, representing The Field Library (Peekskill) in the Teen Division.
This page is for the Coaches of the Battle, Click to go to our public website!
2017 Meetings & Important Dates:
- Saturday, October 21, 2017
- Battle of the Books Tournament
- Hendrick Hudson HS, Montrose
- Coach arrival – 9:00 am
- Team Arrival – 9:15 am
What is Battle of the Books?
Battle of the Books is a book-based trivia tournament for Westchester youth grades 4-10.
The goal of the program is to promote a love of reading in kids and teens, to expose them to titles and authors that they might not encounter otherwise, to encourage them to think of their local public library as a resource for entertainment and to inspire teamwork and good sportsmanship in an atmosphere of friendly competition.
What does a Team Coach do?
Manage your library’s BOB team(s) by: recruiting team members, having team members read BOB selected books, running BOB book-based trivia practice sessions, practice sessions with buzzer systems (borrowed from WLS). Team coaches are also encouraged to help on sub-committees, suggest books for BOB, and read and submit questions for the BOB event.
Contact Us: Want to know more? Click to go to our public website!
- President – Suzy Zavarella
- Vice President – Kathlyn Carroll
- Treasurer – Pat Brigham
- Secretary – Augusta Turner
- Chairs of Rules Sub-Committee:
Amy Kaplan & Debbie Fletcher
- Chairs of Volunteer Sub-Committee:
Liz Anastasi & Elise Landesberg
- Chairs of Communication and Outreach Sub-Committee:
- Chairs of Fundraising and Donations Sub-Committee :
Kim Larsen & Jonathan Heifetz
- Chairs of Questions Sub-Committee:
Mallory Harlen & Linda Surovich
2017 Meeting Minutes:
- January 19, 2017 Meeting Minutes
- March 1, 2017 Meeting Minutes
- April 6, 2017 Meeting Minutes
- May 4, 2017 Meeting Minutes
2017 Timeline, Rules, Structure, & Sample Questions:
2017 Participating Libraries:
Please contact Suzy Zavarella (email@example.com) with 2017 interest.
2017 Books :
Children’s Bracket (4-6)
- Fuzzy Mud by Louis Sachar
- Ms. Bixby’s Last Day by John David Anderson
- One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams Garcia
- Out Of My Mind by Sharon Draper
- The Witches by Roald Dahl
Teen Bracket (6-10)
- Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon
- Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
- Jackaby by William Ritter
- Michael Vey, the Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans
2017 Forms, Posters & Letters (editable):
Editable forms that can be individualized to each library
- BOB 2017 Permission Slip
- BOB 2017 Photo Release Form (DO NOT EDIT beyond your library’s name)
- BoB2017 editable flyer
- BOB Instagram How-To (Jessica BRO)
- Solicitation / Sponsorship Letter (editable)
- Sponsorship 101 presentation with notes (Pat Brigham of WLS)
- Battle of the Books Sponsorship Form (Pat Brigham of WLS) – (editable)
- Solicitation Letter (Pat Brigham of WLS) – (editable)
- Press Release – Library Team Recruiting Members – (editable)
- Battle of the Books School Support & PR Letter – (editable)
- BOB Letter to Schools – (editable)
Reserving Practice Buzzers: Want to get a head start on using the practice buzzer systems? Click (here) to find out how to reserve a set!
What can I do to help? The BOB 2017 needs your help!
What is expected of a BOB volunteer?
- Book Suggestion-ers – Everyone can suggest books for the 2017 BOB. Does not require regular meeting attendance or having a BOB team.
- Question Writing – Everyone can write questions for the 2017 BOB based on the selected books. Does not require regular meeting attendance or having a BOB team.
- Question Editing & Selection – Everyone can help edit questions for the 2017 BOB based on the selected books. Does not require regular meeting attendance or having a BOB team.
- Volunteer on Battle Day – We need tons of volunteers on the big day from emcees & judges to runners and more! We accept teen and adult volunteers. Need community service? This is a great opportunity! Contact us for more details.
- Refreshments – Bring refreshments (snacks, drinks, etc.) to be shared with participants and volunteers on Battle day.
- Donate! – The BOB accepts both monetary and in-kind gifts (refreshments, publisher book donations, prizes for participants, etc.) as donations.
Local Battle of the Books References:
- Mid-Hudson’s page for Battle of the Books
- Ramapo Catskill Library System BOB Page
- Suffolk County Battle of the Books (with commercial!)
- American Battle of the Books Association
Battle of the Books Archives: